Friday, May 9, 2008

Fast Friday

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the biggest IRL fan. I did, after all, grow up in the southern region of this country (though most, including myself, do not include FL as part of The South). But even with NASCAR right up the road (in Daytona) from where I grew up, I never even got into that (NASCAR) until college. I have to admit, there was something about that deep roar of a stock car at Talladega that got into my blood. But I'm in Indianapolis now...

In Indy, it's all about The Indy Cars - go figure... the racing league named after the City I'm in supports the league big time. Not a bad thing. And it's pretty cool, because come May in Indy, it's all about getting to the Indy 500 at the end of the month! It started with The Mini last weekend, qualifying starts tomorrow, and the 500 is Memorial Day weekend. And today was what is known as Fast Friday - the last day of practice before qualifying begins. So when you're in Indy in May, you have no excuse not to make it to the track, because it's open nearly every day, at least for practice. And if you hear the high pitch whir of cars, then it's a good day.

So I made it out to the track today for Fast Friday. Unfortunately, it was a very dreary day. Cars were on the track when we got there, but a drizzle came soon after and they closed the track early. :( Bummer. But it was nice to hear the cars driving around again. This is the first year that CART and IRL have reunited, so there's a lot of hype this year. We'll see if it's worth it, I guess. I'll be there for the race again... always am. ;)

No comments: