Friday, May 31, 2013

You Dropped a Bomb on Me

Can someone explain to me why change can't occur one thing at a time, and why you have to get thrown into a slew of change, instead?

So big news! Well, what turned out to be Part #1 of big news. Eric got a new job! He officially gave his notice at Kite yesterday, after being there for 12 years! This was not something he was looking to do, necessarily... an opportunity was presented to him, and he had to take it. The news was bittersweet to the people he's worked at Kite with for all those years, but it was well received with lots of words of encouragement. Probably couldn't have gone better.

So, the new job. Something he knew he wanted to do for a long time, but didn't think he'd be doing it until about 10 years from now. He accepted a position of Executive Director at Riley Area Development Corporations (a non-profit). Personally, I don't explain what a CDC is very well.... I call it a non-profit neighborhood developer, but it's not really that. Let's just say that Riley is actually the board he was on that spurred his interest in development to begin with and what, ironically, led him to his job at Kite Realty Group.

So what does that mean for me? Well, I've been doing what we call "permanent part-time' at my job for two years... basically, I'd work 30hrs/week, but my boss new he could count on me for more if needed (or less if things weren't looking good). It started that way because my boss, Rich, and I started a brand new site department at my company, and we weren't sure what the workload would be. Well, it turned out to be really good and we've grown to 6 site employees among the 20 person firm. Not too bad. I just never transitioned to full-time because, well, I was kind of comfortable with the part-time thing, coming and going as my schedule saw fit. But this new job for Eric, being that it's in the non-profit world, is effecting the bottom line, so full-time is needed.

But wait, there's more!

Two days ago, my boss, Rich, gave his notice! NO ONE expected that bomb! Especially the owner of our company (and a good friend of Rich's). But just like Eric, an opportunity was presented to him, and he had to take it. He wasn't looking, and even tried to blow them off, but alas, his last day is a week from today.

So what does this mean for me?? Well, my just going full time, still doing the same thing, is no longer an option. Now I'm going full time, into overdrive, and taking on a lot more responsibility. I just got thrown into management, essentially. To what extent, I'm not sure yet, and we may not know for awhile. But, I have to look at this as my opportunity, I guess. I can't say it's going to be an easy road, and this fork in the road sure was covered by a lot of brush... but it could be a good road for me. I guess well see. Here's hoping Eric and I don't do a total stress role reversal... that would just be counter productive. I guess we'll just take it one day at a time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You can pass this bomb along to Nan in exchange for a couple more rosaries.