Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day Weekend

For the first time in three years, Eric and I stayed home for the entire Memorial Day weekend. Well. meaning we didn't leave the Indy area.

Not that we didn't enjoy our travels and seeing friends and family... it was just nice to not be traveling by car with all the business that comes with this holiday weekend that often represents the beginning of summer.

Granted, after my Friday, traveling anywhere this weekend wouldn't have been very fun.

So Saturday was a day of recapturing my lost Friday. Did the shopping I wanted to get done BEFORE the crowds of Friday (therefore, we got caught in the crowds on Saturday morning). I was still recovering a little bit from Friday, so we didn't do too much more, honestly. We did go check out a new brewery's grand opening. It's called Indiana City Brewing Company. It was pretty cool, actually, but busy since we went on the grand opening. Worth going back to, though. Came home and threw some burgers on the grill after that and had a low key evening at home.

Sunday was still low key. The big event, if you want to call it that, was a BBQ at a friends house. They attempted to listen to the Indy 500 on the radio (can you believe they black it out every year in Indy, regardless if it's considered sold out??). No one was really all that interested though. At least it didn't seem that way. We ended up staying there for most of the afternoon, though, just chatting it up with friends.

Oh... I forgot to mention that... when I was home on my deathbed all day Friday, someone came into our backyard and stole our mower our of our shed. Granted, it was my original mower I bought the spring I moved into my house in... when was that... 2002? So an eleven year old mower. But it was a Toro and it was still awesome. But it had it's quirks. Like the front wheels didn't roll unless the mower was on and the self-propel mechanism was engaged. I don't think I ever changed the oil (though I did ADD oil a few times) and I KNOW I never changed the spark plugs or air filter. Changed the blade once. So basically, I did little to it, but it still ran like a boss. So while whoever stole it got a good mower, I saw it's worth in the eleven years I had it.

Back to Sunday. We bought another Toro. Found a surprisingly good deal on one at Home Depot, and Eric had to try it out as soon as we got home. He said it was better than the old one (go figure). When we got home, I turned on The Coca-Cola 600 race ON TV which, in my opinion is was more exciting that the Indy 500. I threw some ribs on the grill and after Eric mowed, he showered, ate, and then proceeded to meet some friends out (who were in from out of town), which gave me some of my own down time. I actually just watched the rest of the race.

Today was much of the same. We did some things around the house, mainly, and a few things for his apartment building.  The weather finally warmed up to feel more like Memorial Day and not the middle of April, so it was a good day to do some things in the yard, too. But really, the overall weekend just stayed low key. And local. That's what I liked. Enjoy the times at home when we can.

No comments: