Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Just Another Wednesday in May

One of the first things I learned when I moved to Indiana is that May is a big deal. Ironically, I put off moving here for a week way back in 2001 because I didn't want to get stuck in the hustle and bustle of the Indy 500 weekend. Granted, I was moving clear on the other side of the City, but I didn't quite know that at the time. And I had NO idea that the Indy 500 impacted the City for nearly an entire month!

The day started out great. A few hours at work, where I wrapped up a submittal and finished a proposal. Then it was off to our company outing that was at the ballpark (Victory Field). We had a suite for the afternoon to watch the game, complete with food and a great view. Rowdie even came to visit us, which was pretty cool. (I don't know why, but I love mascots - I think it's cause I had Aubie in college) We couldn't have asked for better weather and the Indians were kicking the Bisons' butts! So after soaking things in until about the 7th inning, Rich, who announced yesterday he was offered passes to the racetrack for Happy Hour, got some of us together to head out to the Indy Motor Speedway to finish out the afternoon.

While we were having an unseasonably warm day for mid-May, there was a warm breeze to compliment the afternoon. We got out to the track and met one of our hosts inside the gate, where we walked to yet another suite off of the garages. After a little cooling off (and a cold beverage to assist in that), we walked around the garages to see what cars or drivers we might be able to catch. By this time, it was nearly 5pm, which meant "Happy Hour" at the track. This isn't what you would think of as "Happy Hour" when you hear it on a normal day, any other time of the year. It's May at the track, after all... happy hour here meant the time during practice at which the most number of cars would be circling the track.

And they did not disappoint! We hung out in the stands, watching the cars circle the tack for about an hour - things end surprising prompt, right at 6pm. They even announce when there was 90 seconds left. And just like that, the day was done. We just had to get back downtown. It turned out to be a great mid-week decompression - we've had A LOT of deadlines over the past couple of weeks, so I think we all needed this.

Just another Wednesday in May in Indianapolis.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those are some funny lookin' racecars y'all got up North there!