Friday, January 4, 2013

New Year, Same Stuff, Different Day

So here we are, four days into the new year. A new year supposedly brings an opportunity for a fresh start. Hence, everyone makes resolutions, usually to 'make themselves and better version of themself' or something along those lines.

But here's the thing... how are you supposed to make a fresh start if everything around you is the same and out of your control to change? Sure, you can make all the resolutions you want to make changes to yourself or improve your immediate surroundings... but there's so much more out of your control. How do you make a truly fresh start when so much is the same? Unless you decide to up and quit your job and move to another state (or country), you really don't get a full 'fresh start' with everything.

Yes, the best place to start is with 'you', and that's why resolutions make sense. But why make that a once a year thing? You should be making a pretty regular evaluation of yourself and constantly improving yourself, making a 'better version of you' as you go. So why put so much pressure on yourself that one time of year (probably the worst time of year to do it)?

I don't know... maybe it's just me. I've never been big on making new year's resolutions. And I am, by no means, perfect. I've typically been known to just go do something if I want to do it, whether it be organize a closet or start a new workout regimen. But alas, no one else is me. So if it takes a new calendar to get something done, then so be it. I'll make what I want to happen when I want it to happen. Sometime later in the year.

No comments: