Monday, January 14, 2013

Yoga

I started doing yoga a few years ago, after buying a Groupon for a local studio, Cityoga. Before that, my only exposure to yoga was a kind of introductory class that one of my companies brought in for us to 'try out' in the office.

I liked it well enough to try the Groupon next, where I would actually get the experience in the studio. It was a basic Groupon - not one-on-one sessions or anything... so the first thing was to figure out what kind of yoga I wanted to try. Yup... for those who don't know yoga, there are different kinds of yoga. When most people think of yoga, I think they envision basic Vinyasa. But even Vinyasa has different levels and paces. But it is the basics of all yoga, I guess... you learn the poses and the breathing techniques, which are the key components to yoga.  But all those crazy photos you see of yoga - those aren't your standard poses - those are way advanced, and I haven't even thought about getting to that level!

In fact, I'm the polar opposite, it seems. I've been drawn to and have acquired a taste for the Yin style, stress relief yoga. It differs in the fact that you take positions and actually hold them for a minute or two, and just breathe deeper into them and, in essence, stretch those muscles, tendons, and ligaments that tend to 'get stressed' and hold tension. You'd be surprised some of the areas that hold tension - it goes way beyond your neck and shoulders!

Anyway, this class is the ultimate relaxation. I kid you not, you feel totally mellow and 'down' when you leave - it's almost like a drug! Seriously - there have been times where I didn't think I should be driving home from this class! Eric can always tell when I've been to yoga, even if it's just over the phone. It's like a total body and attitude adjustment!

Thought Yin has become my favorite, I do love the basic, slow-flow Vinyasa. I haven't done the Hot Yoga yet - which is Vinyasa in a hot room - but I've heard it's after-effects are similar to Yin. You sweat out all the toxins in your body while going through your poses, giving you an overall flush of refreshment when all is said and done.

I guess the point of this whole blog is to say Yoga absolutely rocks! If you've never tried it, it's worth it. And no worries if you're worried about being able to do a pose - there's always an alternate version for those just starting out or not as flexible (or well balanced). At least my studio has options. Guess I can't speak for other studios, but I can't imagine, in this culture, they'd force you to do something uncomfortable. And I've been watching quite an increase of guys in the studio.. and not young ones just wanting to watch girls in tight clothing - there's a lot of older guys, likely there to relieve stress after wearing a tie all day, as well as guys a little younger who understand the benefits of yoga. And I've even seen younger kids and teenagers in there, doing poses I could never do since they're so flexible still! Yoga really is for everyone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What!!! No pix. Boo.