Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Social Media Fubar

I have a bone to pick with social media, and it's been bugging me for awhile. I almost feel like a bit of a hypocrite for feeling this way since I'm so anti-political correctness, but I just think it's an issue, none the less.

I've noticed that people get so caught up in their own status, that they fail to think about how it might affect someone else. What I mean by that is people will openly broadcast something about themselves or something else on their mind with no precursory to what it's outcome will be. And then get upset and they don't get the response (or lack of response) they 'expect' to get, since it's so meaningful to them. It's something they won't typically broadcast in person, except to maybe those closest to them... if that. What's more is that social media has started to numb to people to these same type of 'life statuses' that used to be reserved for more of a inner circle of people - one can only care so much about little Jimbo (son of a mere acquaintance) pooping in the potty... on a video.

Don't get me wrong - I love that I've regained contact with so many people from my past. But those posting these videos and pictures... have you ever thought about the impact that might have on someone who lost a child recently? They might not get to see that moment, and seeing a picture of a sweet child hitting a milestone can be devastating to them! And it goes beyond things about kids... it hits some of the hot topics of the moment, whether it be politics, religion, or even employment. Don't complain about all the overtime you 'have to work' some weekend... there are probably some followers that would trade places with you, just to have a job!

I get that people get excited about life events of their family or are passionate about some topic of the moment, but in my mind, some of these moments are supposed to be personal to the family, not broadcast for the world to see. It kind of loses the 'special moment' feel when so many people can see it happen. I'd almost rather Facebook just be plastered with drunken moments. Keep those videos and pictures restricted to the inner circle that should be seeing them, not shown to all your 'friends'. After all, not all of your 'friends' are actually friends, just people you're met somewhere along the way. Not someone you'd call up on a whim to crash in their spare room when you're in town.

Something to ponder before you post something, whether it just be a status update or a picture. I know I'm just as guilty of doing stuff like that, but I know I find myself pausing before I hit that update button more often. And I feel better about things because of it.

No comments: