Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Urban Living

So I've 'officially' been a downtown dweller for about 4 months now, and I've had time to take everything in and get a good comparison of urban living verses suburban living.

Living downtown definitely has its perks. Lots of close, unique dining experiences, all the downtown festivals and activities within walking distance, and always something going on. I do miss having the closeness of the Target and a 'real' grocery store (one that has a footprint larger that a quarter of a small city block). There is at least a mall in downtown Indy, so I don't lose out on that shopping, though it doesn't have all the stores that I'd like for it to. So, basically, I do miss the shopping of the suburbs - you may have to drive more to get to stuff, but it's a closer drive than driving from downtown.

But what I miss most is the silence. There's always some sort of background noise downtown, whether it be trucks driving by (or even loud cars), or the trains that regularly cruise through downtown. Then there's the sirens and helicopters that you very rarely get in the suburbs. During the day, the noises all blend together, but at night is when I especially miss the quietness of the suburbs. Trains still blow their horns, the sirens still blare on calls, and it seems as if those sounds get amplified at night.

I never realized how much I enjoyed the calm and quietness of being able to walk out my front door, look up at the stars and hear nothing. Looking up at that big sky and have the silence envelope you made you realize how big this world really is... and what a small role you really played in it. It was subduing, because it made all of your problems seem that small, too. Who knew walking outside could be so therapeutic? And on those particularly clear nights, it seemed like the stars went on forever.

You can't even see the stars downtown.

I even miss hearing the kids playing next door. They always would wave to me if they saw me outside or coming/going somewhere in my car. There aren't too many kids downtown, and they definitely aren't playing outside where I can hear them. But I will admit, the friendliness of the kids didn't always extend to the adults - I do know my neighbors downtown better than I did in Fishers. Though I think we have a special case, here - Eric and I are lucky to have such friendly neighbors who do come outside and socialize. I never see anyone come out of the houses across the street or anywhere else on the block.

Bottom line - if I'm going to live downtown, now is the time in my life to do it. Before kids, while I'm still young enough to enjoy all the amenities a downtown (any urban downtown) has. So for now, I'll miss my silence and big starry sky. But I know I'll get back there. Only when I'm back there in the suburbs, my mind will be full of memories downtown.

No comments: