Thursday, April 29, 2010

Dress Alterations

Today I went to get my first dress fitting for my wedding dress. I went into it with caution because I've heard of how much this can cost sometimes. So I braced myself for what I thought was the worst...

Wow... that's all I can say! My thoughts of what the 'worst' could be, though not horribly off, was still under what the final bill will come to. At least, it had better be the one and only final bill!

So after that, I'm convinced the whole wedding dress alteration scene is a pure racket! I'm not sure how they can sleep at night knowing how much they charge for things for altering something only to be worn once. And my dress is simple compared to most!! I feel for anyone who might have more detailing that they have to work around when they make alterations - what kind of bill do they get? It's no wonder why more brides are buying real simple dresses off the rack at higher end department stores - no alterations, or even FREE alterations with the purchase!

Anyway... it's done. I can honestly say this was my first real sticker shock for the wedding. The rest of the list I either had no idea what to expect, so there was no shock, or things came in under what I expected. So I guess I shouldn't complain. Even with the alterations, my total cost is still pretty reasonable. But I'm convinced there's no such thing as a bargain dress out there!

No comments: