Friday, September 11, 2009

Go, Cubs, Go!

Today was the first day of a very long and crazy (but fun!) weekend!!

Wendy and I took our annual trip to Chicago for a Cubs game (in the bleachers, of course). We left, bright and early at 8am... at least we intended to, until I got stuck in traffic even getting to Wendy's! But regardless, we still made excellent time getting up to Wrigley Field, even with stopping for breakfast in Merrilville!!

After we found some excellent parking on Clark, we walked to the stadium and right into the bleachers, getting some seats against the back railing. We had nearly two hours till game time, so we killed time eating some hot dogs and taking some pictures of the teams warming up. The ceremonial stuff starts right about 1pm, though, so the 'down time' went by pretty fast. But it was HOT! Not by FL standards, mind you, but when you're out on metal bleachers with no shade (and not even a cloud in the sky!) and 80 degree temperatures, it warms up quick! There was a nice breeze, though, and that's where it pays off to be in the top row against the railing.

The game was a good one, as they always are. There were a few times I thought the Reds were going to make the Cubbies look bad,
but in the end, the Cubs won, 6-4!! YAY! Though I know Wendy's always torn for this match-up... I got her going to Wrigley not too long before Chris starting getting her into the Reds. Well, he has a little more pull with her baseball loyalties as her fiancee now, but I know, at a minimum, Wrigley Field will always be in her heart.

Now comes the crazy part of our trip (there's always something when Wendy and I do this annual trip!)... after circling the stadium and checking out the vendors a bit, we start to head back up Clark to the car. We get to an intersection where we have to wait for the traffic and a couple walks up behind us. No sooner do Wendy and I realize they are behind us, the guy says, "Excuse me, is your name Kara... Kara (he tried to pronounce my last name here - insert whatever crazy pronunciation you can fathom with my name)?" As soon as I turn and look at him, I ask, "Jeramy??" Now, to an outsider reading this, this may not seem all that odd. But the kicker is, we've never actually met in person!

Jeramy and I met though MySpace about 3 years ago when we found a connection through PBHS. He went to University of South Florida and was from FL, like me, living in Indy. So we bonded through those aspects, emailing and even talking on the phone a few times. But we were never actually able to meet. Wendy and I thought we saw him once or twice playing softball, but I never went and verified it was him. So aside from that, we only ever saw pictures of each other on MySpace. We haven't emailed or talked in well over a year, probably closer to two, actually. So what are the odds of us finally meeting in person, walking back to our car, after a Cubs game in Chicago!! We parked, like, two blocks from each other!

Anyway... we chatted for a few blocks and I know the girl he was with had no idea what was going on. Wendy initially got into defensive mode... until I told her who he was. Then she was just as blown away as I was. It was completely out there as far as 'small worlds' go... which seems to get smaller every day!

It was a long drive back, starting with Chicago rush hour traffic on Lakeshore Drive. So by the time we stopped and ate and finally got back to Indy, it was way later than I anticipated!! I'm beat!

Tomorrow my weekend continues with two showers to attend... the first is a bridal shower for Erica, and then a baby shower for Karen. I'd like to go to the Penrod Art Fair in the morning... but I'm not sure I'm going to make it. We'll see.

Good night for now!

No comments: