Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Did I Sign Up for This?

I already have over 20 hours in at work this week... and it's only Tuesday.

A little background. When I started this job, I came in not knowing a thing about airport design - I only ever flew out of them (A LOT!) at my previous job. So they put me on a 'team', which within a few months 'disbanded' somehow. One guy left for another job, another went to work in our Abu Dhabi office... which left little ol' me and my CAD girl, Randie. Now, this isn't the first time I got thrown into a position quicker than anticipated (or desired). I took it in stride, as always, and did as much as I could do. They didn't leave me completely out there, mind you... those who needed to jump in did so. But they also let me know they wanted me to take over eventually. Again, no biggy. Did it before. I like a challenge.

Fast forward to this week. Airport Board of Aviation Commissioners (BOAC) meetings. The second week of the month will always be hell for me, though I hope not this bad.

This was the first month I went to the 3rd of 'my' airports' meetings... and it's two hours away and doesn't start until 7pm (though I had to go up early to take pictures yesterday). This was last night. Of all times, the board members choose this month to get into a BIG debate over something and stretch the meeting out. The meeting lasted over two hours and I still had to drive home. Late night.

Tonight, I had the second of my board meeting for the week. This one starts at 4pm, thankfully, but it's still a 45 minute drive from downtown, and an even longer drive home for me. So not much later than my normal work day, but the driving still made the day seem long.

My third meeting is tomorrow, and is only just down the road in Greenwood. But it does start after hours. The bright side is that it's close. Normally, they have their meetings on Thursday, so I'd have a break in the middle of the week from all the meetings. But due to a schedule conflict, it was moved up a day. It just makes for a long week when they're back to back to back.

I know... it sounds like I'm complaining... but I am looking forward to the weekend already. Hopefully I make it without collapsing. Everything going on IN the office adds to the chaos... really busy right now.

So what's my point? Well... I feel like I've been thrown into the airport world head first, like it or not. I'm treading water fine for now... but man... there's so much to know and I know that I don't know all of it yet, not even close! So sometimes it feels like I'm cramping up and will have to utilize the deadman's float... but not yet. However, I can tell you this is just the beginning of it.

No comments: