Thursday, February 26, 2009

I Hate This Time of Year

This is the time of year where it becomes really apparent I’m not from Indiana or any northern type state that has a ‘true’ winter. Maybe not to those who don’t know me very well or only see me in passing, but anyone who is around me a lot (Eric) definitely notices. Shoot… it’s probably one of the reasons I DON’T see too many people or do too much this time of year. I am the epitome of winter blues. I get really down and don’t want to do anything but curl up in my bed and not wake up till spring… the REAL spring, when it’s warm enough to put sandals on again.

I try to be happy and can even put up a hell of a happy front. But catch me off guard and you won’t see that front. I think it’s just the Florida girl in me screaming for warmth and sunshine. A weekend doesn’t cut it – that’s just a tease, actually, and may make things worse. It was nice when I had to travel to FL for work all the time… I got my fill of warmth and sunshine and it helped keep the blues away. But this year there is no traveling, and it’s hitting me pretty hard. This is the time of year where you may get some warmth or sunshine, but you won’t get both. I hate that. It makes me get more upset, yearning for it all.

Eric’s been trying to keep me motivated and happy. But I’m afraid they may be fruitless efforts. The bottom line is that if I can go outside in my bare feet and feel the warm pavement or grass beneath my feet, I’m not happy. And I haven’t been able to do that since, what… September? Maybe October? And when will I be able to do it again? April, if I’m lucky?

The weird thing is, I like having four distinct seasons. But I think I’d rather have the colder seasons shorter. Or maybe even just the opportunity to ‘visit’ the colder seasons and then go back to the warmth. It doesn’t have to be FL… just somewhere warmer. With a beach. That’s probably becoming more apparent in my mind every day – I miss the beach. And I’m sorry, but the lake front beaches people like to go to up here don’t cut it. I want to smell the salt in the air. THAT’S a beach!

Oh well. Enough about my winter blues. If you see me any time soon, just don’t point out that it’s still winter and I’ll be alright.

No comments: