Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Just a Little Snow...

Well, the forecasters were wrong again... in a different direction, though. We didn't get the 3"-6" of snow they predicted. No... we got nearly a foot of snow instead!! Well... maybe not quite... but is was about 9-1/2" - 10". The drifts were well over a foot, though. And once you shoveled... whew! The shoveled piles were about 3', probably. And it took me 2 hours to shovel my driveway completely. I didn't even attempt my sidewalks!! I figured no one else did them, so why should I? Besides... I'm already going to be sore for days. :(

I stayed downtown last night (at Eric's) because I had a late meeting at work, and it was already snowing pretty good at that point. I came prepared. Even then, I didn't expect what we got in the snowfall department. When I saw how much snow had fallen this morning, I about flipped. My Baby Bleu (my Xterra) is not used to being outside, especially in weather like this! So she had so much snow on her. The snow on the ground was up to the step bar - that's a lot! Luckily, most of it just brushed off... but still! Anyway... the plows couldn't keep up today. Anywhere! So the roads were a mess... everywhere! People were slipping and sliding (and getting stuck) on the city streets, the interstates, and the county roads all the same. And SO many people got stuck! My neighbor got stuck in her driveway, Eric got stuck, Eric's neighbor, Dave, got stuck... I did fine, though... I think I do pretty damn well for a rear wheel drive car in snow. But then, it's all I've ever driven in snow, so of course I know how to handle it.

In any event, I guess I asked for this. I was wanting to have a 'real' snowfall... well, I got it! It'll be below freezing through the weekend, too, so it'll stick around for awhile. And since I'm done shoveling ad the plows will *hopefully* be caught up by the morning, I get to just enjoy looking at it. I can handle that. :)

Update 01/29/09 8pm: The roads still sucked this morning. The City of Indianapolis did a HORRIBLE job of clearing the roads. You would've thought that they would've focused on the commuter routes, especailly for the morning rush. Nope. They sucked!! One of three lanes were cleared on one heavily used inbound rush hour route. WTF?!!? Then, to top it off, I came home to find 'snow boulders' at the end of my driveway. The plow came through again, taking a wider route and stuff got dumped at the end of my driveway. So I had to shovel some more!! Grrr!!

No comments: