Saturday, June 22, 2013

Summer Solstice and the Moon

Summer Solstice. The 'real' start to summer? Kind of hard to accept that when it gets as hot as it does in May now. But it still has it's merit as being that... to me, anyway. Besides... it's the longest day of the year!

Okay... so the Summer Solstice doesn't get the love it used to century's ago... it used to really mean something and 'speak' to farmers and villagers, the like. Or so says the books we had to read at some point in our educational careers. But when you throw in a so called "Super Moon" on the same weekend, that's something to talk about!

I thought the super moon was actually the same day (night) at the Summer Solstice, especially when I saw the spectacular moon that came out last night. But then I learned that WASN'T the super moon! It's actually overnight tonight, as tonight is the full moon. Could've fooled me... actually, it DID fool me! Hopefully, tonight's is just as spectacular... which, according to everyone on the internet, it will be.

So it may not quite be a Summer Solstice Super Moon, but it was still quite the sight to see (and snap a photo or two of!). And now, with the Summer Solstice past, the days, once again, grow shorter. Which I'm quite excited about, because I can't quite get into the sun setting after 9pm. Too me, that just throws all your senses off. But I digress.

Hope everyone else out there enjoyed their Summer Solstice!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now that was a sneaky way to MOON your audience!