Friday, February 22, 2013

I Need a Garage

Remember awhile back, I blogged about how here in Indianapolis, we are on the border of real winter weather and we never know what our 'winter weather' will really bring? Yeah... that happened again. A major winter storm has been blowing across the US this week, dumping snow like crazy, even in places like Phoenix. As it go closer and closer, our forecast kept changing. First is was 6" of snow. Then maybe just a couple of inches, then rain, then sleet, then a mix, and finally... finally it hit. What did we get? Freezing rain. The worst possible outcome.

It started as sleet. I could hear it hitting the window early last night, while I was watching TV. It even change to snow for a little bit. But then you could no longer hear it... but you could see it. And upon closer inspection, you could see not only was it in liquid form falling from the sky, but it was then quickly coating things as it hit them. You know, trees, cars, sidewalk, grass... whatever. But there was nothing I could do about it until it was done, so I just went to bed. Like everyone else.

I woke up this morning, knowing what I was in for. It wasn't as bad as the ice storm we had two years ago, thank goodness - that one literally froze the city for day because the temperature stayed well below freezing for a week! Thankfully, you could already hear the thaw happening since it breached the freezing mark (just barely) as the sun started to come up. But there was still a lot of ice. So I just let out a big sigh and got ready for the day, knowing that this ice would slow me down initially, but really just not giving a damn. It's Friday, at least.

I finally make my way outside. First thought... "I can't make it down my front steps without busting my butt." Yep... a sheet of ice coated are already steep, uneven stairs. I had already used up our last bucket of salt during our last weird winter storm, but I knew we had some in the basement. So I trudged down there and got it. Went back out front and started throwing it down the steps, and taking it very slowing, one step at a time, and finally got to the bottom of the step. Now for the sidewalk. Nit that anyone was going to be coming out it this, but if I didn't salt it, I was going to be the one eating it, no doubt. It's just how my world works.

Now thankfully, I remembered to grab my car keys before coming down the steps. I looked over at Tuscany, all covered in ice herself. Poor girl - she's been through a lot, considering she doesn't even have 2000 miles on her yet. I made my way over, always slipped off the icy curb, and got in to start her up. Might as well get her warmed up from the inside out, because it was going to be a task getting the ice off the outside, at least to where she was drivable!

Alright... a look back towards the house... time to go back up the stairs and get ready to actually leave. Which means I had to climb those stairs. I could see the salt was starting to work, which was good. But things were still pretty slick!

Finally, time to leave. Sort of. I started my car, but there was still a lot of ice to deal with. After almost slipping down the stairs (and I was going slow! But the salt was causing a melted slush to form on top of the ice...), and pulled out my ice scrapper. Where to begin? It was one big sheet over the entire car! Finally, I found a nook by the wiper that I could get under, and after that, the scraping began. It didn't take too long - at least not as long as I thought. Finally... I was off. Just about a half hour late - not too shabby.

Hopefully this time next year, it won't be an issue. Hopefully, I'll finally have a garage to park in. Hopefully.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The sun and the pollen are ruining my paint!!!