Sunday, February 10, 2013

A Much Needed Surprise

For those who know me well enough, you know Eric's job puts a lot of stress on him, which in turn, puts a lot of stress on me. Though I try to hide it. In recent months, it's required a lot of time away, as well, which is really hard - much harder than I imagined it would be. I think mainly because the time away adds more stress on him, which, again, adds more stress on me. I do what I can, try to keep things in order at the house, and try to maintain as much normalcy as I can.

As of Friday, he was officially gone for one full month. As in, no trips back to Indiana, even for a day. I got to go see him two weeks ago, thankfully, but for him, it's been a rough month out of a suitcase. It wasn't supposed to happen like this, but his project just seemed to be overflowing with issues that only he had the connection to resolve them. But Friday, he was finally coming home. Even if it was just for the weekend. So as I did some things around the house and made some plans for the weekend that would give him some much needed downtime. Then I got the phone call. He got stuck at the job site and wasn't going to make the flight. This devastated me more than I ever imagined it would.

After finally grasping the fact that he wasn't coming home, I went to bed Friday night, in my head, planning out my weekend by myself. It was to be a weekend of not much going on - which was fine. I still needed some down time from my own weekly routine. Saturday morning, I woke up and ate some breakfast. It was cold outside and I just couldn't seem to warm up! I was watching TV when Eric called me to see how my morning was going. He was back at the job site, trying to remedy some of the issues that came up the day before. We didn't talk long - just checking in. He told me he's call me that afternoon and we'd talk more. In the meantime, I found a movie on TV to watch as I continued to try to warm up.

About 4pm, he calls me again. He asks me what I was up to and then there was a knock at the door. I wasn't expecting anyone, so I ignored it at first, figuring it was a solicitor or something. Then I noticed he kind of paused. Then there was a knock again. Guess who? Yep, he flew home, after all. It completely caught me off guard - he's never surprised me like that! But it was a very welcome surprise - exactly what I needed.

While it was great for him to be home, he was only home for one night. We went out to dinner and did a few things around the house that needed attention and just be with each other. He wasn't even able to be here for a 24 hour period. But that didn't matter, because just being able to see each other and talk (not over the phone) was what we both needed, I think. It completely turned my weekend around. And I think he helped him to be away from the stresses of the job, even if only for a short period of time. In general, just a surprise recharge for the both of us.

No comments: