Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Is it November Yet?

It's not even September yet, and I am SO ready for this election to be over! Politics, in general, are becoming worse and worse with each election. If there's any doubt about why this country is torn about the answer is simple... POLITICS!

So for this post (vent), I am going to take a minute to reiterate my stance on the fact that we REALLY need to do away with the party system. I won't go into the details of how it works like I have in the past, but I will say this... a democracy will survive just fine with out parties.

I took a survey recently that really pointed out how much politician DON'T listen to their constituents and just play by the party rules. Some of today's 'hot topics',like the healthcare overhaul and gun control (in light of recent events) are part of the questionnaire you take, which can be as short or as long as yo want it to be. Politician's really lead you to believe that what their party thinks is what the entire US population thinks - they're manipulative that way. For example, I was really starting to think lot of people really did disagree with the Affordable Healthcare Act. But looking at the survey results, an overwhelming majority think it was the right thing to do and should stay in place!

Now before you get on your high horse and assume I took a poll sent to me via email by one of the parties, making it a one sided pole, that's not how it happened. I stumbled across this site that was put together by some media outlets to help the everyday voter actually side with the candidates that had the same beliefs they did. Novel concept, I know... but check it out for yourself. It's called ElectNext.com and it helps you learn your own stance on things better, if nothing else.

But back to the fact that the election is still over two months away... why must we throw mud?? I think, honestly, the each elected official should be REQUIRED to poll their constituents on big issues, and maybe a smaller make-up of their districts for other issues and actually vote base off those responses. I know - another crazy idea! My City Councilman does that, and it is so awesome that he does! He sends out an email, gets opinions, then chooses to vote based off of the responses and what he thinks is right, even if it's against party lines! I love this guy! He's actually in politics for the right reason and treating his position as it should be - a representative of his district and, essentially, his neighborhood. If only other politicians would get the hint.

Oh well... maybe one day we can get back to where our forefathers meant for us to be...

No comments: