Thursday, August 30, 2012

Hurricane Hype

So now that Isaac has made his way inland, I can say this... what the hell was with all the media hype??

I'm all for being prepared and not having another Katrina (or Camille, of Hugo, or Andrew...), but did MY local media sources really need to send reporters down to cover it?? The hotels in New Orleans probably had about as much occupancy as they do during Mardi Gras, thanks to all the media converging on the area. You'd think it was a Cat 5 as is began to loom over the bayous... but no... it barely made it to a Cat 1 before making landfall.

Yes, I know it's still a hurricane and it can still cause damage in the way of wind and water... but did I really need to have 15 minute updates in Indiana? I'm assuming we weren't the only State to have the idiocracy of local media covering things...

So now Isaac in inland and actually heading up towards Indiana, likely to still be a drenching depression when it gets here. So what do we do? Hype it up some more! Our local government is filling up and giving away sandbags. Really??

Maybe I'm just numb to weather 'disasters' since I grew up in FL... where I never saw as much hype about a hurricane as I did this most recent one. But it just seems to me that we're going a little overboard with this one. Just a little.

No comments: