Sunday, August 26, 2012

Change of Seasons

This is probably one of my favorite times of year... when we move from baseball season, to football season!  Yes, I know baseball isn't over. But the important thing is that football is starting! No so much pro-football, but college football... less than one week away!

I caught a few baseball games this year... one Cubs game in Chicago, and a couple of Indianapolis Indians game (most recently, this afternoon for the Indians). It is, after all, as American as it gets. Just give me some apple pie and a Chevy on a levee.

But while baseball is America's past time, it really doesn't get much more American than football... American football. We are, after all, the only country that really recognizes this sport. "Football" in ever other country is what we call soccer in the US... because football has been taken. Which is kind of funny since the foot/feet aren't used to often in football, but they are all that's used in soccer. But I digress.

I absolutely love my college football. More specifically, my Auburn football! And I cannot wait until next Saturday, when we have our first game. Yay! I so wish I could make a game this year, but my fall is already jammed pack and it doesn't look too promising. So I'll have to settle for TV and watch parties with the local Auburn Club.

Yes, I like the pro games, too. But there's something about the heart that is in college football that seems to have been lost in the NFL. Whether it's because the NFL has become so commercialized, or because the player themselves have turned it into a greed fest, it's just not the same.

Though at any given time if given the choice over any other sport, football of any sort would win... without a doubt.

No comments: