Saturday, July 21, 2012

Don't Listen to the Media

I'm convinced that the media is really the reason society has become what it is today. Coverage of everything and anything is so overkilled and skewed anymore, you can't help but think the worst of whatever the story of the moment is.

What happened to reporting facts, and not reporting until you had ALL the facts?? It seems all it takes is one media source making one assumption, which another one takes as fact, and before you know it, the story is so skewed, one way or another, that the whole country has this image in their mind of whatever the story is, true or not. Not to mention their own skewed opinion.

Plus, these same sources throw around the 'freedom of the press' right to report more about a story than they should. And then they wonder why there are copy cat crimes. I'm all about freedom of the press, but it also goes back to the having all the facts and only reporting what's really necessary. They all want to break this story that really shouldn't even be a story. I don't even want to know what really goes on behind closed doors with some of these media sources - I think some are as dirty as the lobbyist in DC.

Yet, when there's actually something worthwhile out there to report, they often cringe at the idea of not being 'politically correct' about something. They're so scared to do a risky story that would actually accomplish something that they would rather hide in a corner and just sling some mud at someone or just skew something to fit their image.

Eric wonders why I often just watch some 'soft news' programs verses some of the serious stuff. Bottom line... the serious stuff is what seems to get skewed the most. The 'soft news' is presented as an opinion, as it should be. And if there's some impending doom about to come upon me, they'll break in with that story, too. In a cowardly 'run for your life, but don't forget the bread, eggs, and milk' sort of way.

I just get too fired up when I see or hear such one side bull crap stories that are obviously prematurely reported without all the facts. To be honest, I couldn't tell you the last time I heard any news story with all the facts. Something always seems to be left out. Usually something that doesn't make ratings go up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

To paraphrase: Don't believe every thing you read!
But wait! If I just read that in your blog, then I shouldn't believe that either?
I'm confused.