Thursday, June 23, 2011

Music

Have you ever found yourself going through your music collection (whatever the format), just reminiscing and find yourself becoming re-energized in the process (even if you weren't looking for that)? Do you get lost in the songs and the moments, and realize you've been at it for much longer than you intended? Did you ever realize how much music impacts your life, even if you're not in 'the industry' in some way?

Eric makes fun of my 'music collection' that still remains on CD (or even tapes in some sad, rare instances). But most of my music is digital now... just not ready to part with the hard copies until I know I have them digitally. Why? Because of the reason I bought those CD's to begin with. Because of how I slip into a daze when I hear the songs. Because I love the music.

If I start playing songs on the computer, I can almost guarantee a minimum of a hour 'lost' that was meant to be doing something else. But n the flip side, it inspires me. My best cleaning/organizing/epiphanies have been brought on by the shuffle of iTunes blaring over my speakers. Yeah... for the longest time, my computer speakers were better than my stereo speakers, complete with a subwoofer.

I remember my last data migration for my computer, if it was anything but an mp4 format, I couldn't play them. I was very distraught. Then I was full of mixed emotions when I did a search and found them in the recycle bin! Thankfully, none were lost - all were restored to their rightful place. This day and age, it's a scary thought at how easy you can lose everything like that. It's happened once... I learned the benefit (and the reason) for back-ups years ago!

And that's just it. You can tell your life story with music. You can pin point certain songs and remember exactly where you were when it played. All the 'big days' in your life are associated with some song, from prom, to your wedding, to your kid's first recital. So the idea of losing music should cause anyone stress...embrace it, enjoy it, cherish it. Every song, every memory, ever moment. Whether it's on your computer, on the radio, or on a CD somewhere in your closet. Music is everywhere in our lives... you don't need to listen too long to figure that out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I get lost looking/listening to music, too. I rely on youtube, for both sight and sound. The sight I'm referring to is not just the video that's playing, but also the list of "related" music that's listed. And one video/song/artist leads to another, and another,,,,,