Monday, June 20, 2011

More of Mother Nature's Wrath!

And the year of insanely crazy weather continues...

Around 5am-ish, I was awakened by the sound of a pretty severe storm coming through. I normally sleep right through storms, but this one just hit right, I guess. I eventually was lulled back to sleep by it... until the alarm went off. I hate alarm clocks...

The rain continued through most of the morning, with some pretty heave downpours at times! 'They' said we had a chance of storms, but this was crazy!! A big red blob just say over Indy all morning and dumped on us! Since we had a steady drizzle for much of Saturday evening and Sunday morning, the ground was pretty saturated already... so the water today had nowhere to go today... which meant flash flooding.

I didn't realize how bad until I had to head out to a meeting near the end of the downpours. Got there fine, but noticed back-ups on the way back, so decided to try to go backroads to get around it. Many of them were blocked by IMPD already because of cars being stranded in the high water. But the bad thing was, the 'detours' they were directing people down were just more flooded roads! I went through so many areas of roads with high water! It's days like this I'm very thankful for my high truck frame clearance!

Beyond the roads, there were older shopping centers that now have front door access to water, which also spilled over onto roads. A bridge even started to was out on a major thoroughfare (Keystone Avenue) that completely killed rush hour! And the flooding was in areas that aren't necessary known for flooding... that particular area (Castleton) got over 4" dumped on it in way too short of a period of time (some tv stations are saying as much as 6")! Here at our house, our rain gauge showed us getting just over 4", so I could believe the 6" reading...

Most of it did recede later in the day, thankfully... but the threat of more rain still looms the rest of the week, so it could get interesting. Especially considering we're still not seeing the river and creeks crest, yet! It makes me wonder what more can happen to us this year...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

PLEASE! Send it down to FL - we're 5" below average for the past month and half, and have nearly constant wildfire haze in the mornings.