Saturday, January 29, 2011

Photography

So everyone who knows me knows I love taking pictures and photography in general. I always seem to be the one that whips the camera out and/or has pictures to show from something. But I still need to learn how to use my 'new' camera!

I've mentioned a few times in earlier blogs that I'm taking a photography class (finally!!). It's only a 5 week course, and there's only been 2 classes, so far. But I've already learned so much more about my DSLR!! Granted, I've had my camera for almost 9 months and I've played around with it some. But all the manual modes and settings have been foreign to me, no matter how much I read the user's manual or messed with it!! So Eric has been urging me to take a class, which I've wanted to do. Finally, in an effort to get out of the house more, I did sign up for a class at the Indianapolis Art Center.

What have I learned so far? Well, two key things so far... Aperture and Shutter Speed (Lighting Adjustment/White Balance is this coming week). And, WOW, what a difference those settings make! I never realized how much you could really control the scene. Auto mode is fine if you have to snap things quickly... but if you have a minute to make adjustment in Manual mode, it's worth it!

Anyway... once I have some worthwhile pictures to post with my new knowledge, I will. It's been too nasty to go outside and play much, though... maybe I'll hit one of the museums one day when the roads are at least okay. Until then, I'll just keep soaking up more knowledge. So much to learn!

No comments: