Sunday, June 20, 2010

Dave Matthews 2010

My annual event of seeing Dave Matthews Band in concert has come and gone. It's bittersweet this year since he's not touring next year. Making it even more bittersweet was the fact that I wasn't able to make both shows this year... I suppose I could've mustered up tickets for the first night, but with us just wrapping up our wedding last week and still organizing from that, it would've been chaotic. So I bit my lip and didn't make it to Friday night's show... which may have been a good thing with the weather they dealt with. They had to clear out the venue right before Dave went on because of a REALLY bad thunderstorm blowing through the area. They let people back in and he still played, but from what I heard, it was a really wet, muddy mess!

So Saturday night comes and the weather was much better. I only had lawn seats this year, again, because I wasn't sure how the wedding would impact my concert going. It was still a bit muddy up there... but we dealt with it. Eric and I went and didn't try to get there too early, knowing it was probably a mess. We couldn't get into the Warehouse section of the lawn (it was right before Dave was getting ready to play) and started walking away when an older guy chased us down. He had a blanket, front and center, that he was willing to share with some 'nice people' that wouldn't take away from the experience for him and his older son. In other words, we weren't obnoxious drunks - he didn't want to deal with being pushed around by obnoxious people. It was almost too good to be true!! Literally, front and center of the lawn, and we got there, like, five minutes before Dave started! So Eric and I accepted and joined them and found ourselves around some other 'nice people' that made it decent. Well, for a few minutes, anyway. It wasn't long before some of those crazier people were pushing their way to be next to their friends who 'saved them spots' right next to us. But we figured it was like that anywhere else, so we just enjoyed the show.

As usual, Dave put on a good show, with quite a few references to the 'muddy mess' the night before. I wouldn't say it was one of my all time top shows, but then, I always love a Dave show, so it doesn't matter. It's so sad to think we won't get to see him live next year. But I can't blame him for taking a year off after touring for so long! I'm sure his family will be thrilled to have him home for awhile.

No comments: