Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Snow, Snow, and More Snow!

It seems every time I think the snow is done and I'll be able to start seeing grass soon, it snows again. The whole process of shovelling the driveway starts over and the grass is that much more buried. At this rate, I don't think it'll melt before spring!

There's all sorts of facts and statistics being dropped this winter, too! We're currently on track to have the snowiest February in history, as well as break into the top 10 snowiest winters on record for Indianapolis. Last weekend was the first known time that there was snow on the ground in all 50 states, including Florida and Hawaii! I thought we were having global warming issues??

Regardless, I'll be shovelling my driveway, yet again this evening. I shovelled last night and it was still coming down when I left this morning. Won't be as much to shovel as last night, but it still requires me to 'suit up' and do physical labor in below freezing temperatures. Not that it matters... our street in one big sheet of compacted snow - it doesn't matter how many times the plow comes through... it's not going anywhere. It was starting to slush-up and melt over the weekend... but alas, more snow came. So it is, once again, a sea of white over my neighborhood. You can tell where the driveways are based solely off the mounds of snow on either side of a seemingly low lying snowed over area that leads to a garage. Good times.

I miss the color green.

I guess I can't complain too much. At least as not as much as those to the east of me, especially down around DC. But I'm willing to bet they will have the melting process begin long before here... so their piles of snow will probably disappear before ours disappear. Especially if we keep getting hit the way we do!

But I guess I need to take it all in and enjoy what I can...my last suburbs' winter for awhile. I've said it before... I much more enjoy the vast open areas of white verses the dirty plowed-up piles found downtown. I also love the silence. Can't get that downtown either. There's something so peaceful about walking outside after a fresh snow and not hearing a sound. Once the clouds clear, the stars are brighter than ever, the sky is crystal clear, and any sounds that you might hear at other times get muffled by the snow, giving this unbelievable silence I never knew existed. I always take a deep breath of the cold air and enjoy the moment as I look around at how bright everything is... even though the sun has set hours ago. But even during the day, there's something about the joy heard from the neighbor's kids playing in the snow... without a care in the world. Yeah... I'm going to really miss that about winter in the suburbs.

1 comment:

Karen said...

You can come and visit me in the 'burbs anytime you want. We're only 15/20 minutes from downtown!