Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I Feel Like Such a Bi***

Ever have one of those moments where you feel like a complete jacka** for doing something, even if you didn't mean to have the outcome the way it was? Yeah... I had one of those this morning.

There has been this car parked across from the end of my driveway for MONTHS! That is no exaggeration... it has not moved! I didn't take it for being abandoned because it was still legally tagged. I thought it was the lady's son whose been staying with her who's diagonally across the street from me. But she scares me - I've witnessed numerous 'domestic disputes' in her front yard with her adult children. I didn't want to have any sort of confrontation with her.

So I started with contacting our HOA management company. Come to find out that our streets were, indeed, dedicated to Fishers, therefore, Town of Fishers ordinances dictate what goes on within the right of way. But they did send me some of their own knowledge from their research quest on street parking. Come to find out that the Town considered a car abandoned after three days, regardless if it has legal tags still. PLUS (double whammy), it's illegal to park across from the end of the driveway!

So today I called the police department to report the 'parking violation' and hopefully not have to worry about backing into this car anymore. Especially with the snow covered streets we have right now - the plow has just been going around this vehicle and decreasing the travel lane even more! It was easy enough and I didn't think much else of it. Until the officer called me a little while later.

He was nice enough and stated that he was not able to get a hold of the owner for two reasons. Then he proceeded to tell me those reasons... firstly, no one was home in the house it belonged to. But the slap in the face... the son (the owner of the car) had died last month and his mother was still trying to sort through things. This is the point I started feeling like sh**! Granted, the car has been there and not moved since late summer/early fall last year... but that's probably because he'd been sick and/or not able to drive.

So while I feel I was in within my rights to report it, I feel like I just screwed my karma up for awhile. I'll be looking over my shoulder... karma always seems to kick you in the butt at the worst possible time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. This wasn't the same lady from across the street was it? What you did is not really so bad, as you mentioned, it's been there for months. It just shows us how little time we take to get to know our neighbors - or how little our neighbors share...nobody relies on "the village" to take care of the child anymore.
kp =)

Karen said...

Yikes! I know how you feel...we had someone park their car in front of our old house for months and months, and the mailman used to leave notes in our mailbox saying he couldn't deliver our mail somedays because the car was "blocking his access to our mailbox" (even though it totally wasn't--obviously, since he was able to leave a note in there!). I know how frustrating that kind of situation can be, and I'm sorry you were caught in the awkward spot!

Catrina said...

Sorry you feel bad! You had no idea...so to make you feel better and to help her...maybe bake her something or make her dinner and let her know you just heard about her son and how sorry you are. You'll be feeling better in no time. -Catrina