Sunday, August 30, 2009

Company Picnic and More!

We'll start with the "more" part since it came before the picnic... but it's brief. Awhile ago, I decided to train and do "The Mini" next May. Well, I started my training this morning. Why now, 9 months beforehand? Well, I'll be the first to tell you, I AM NOT A RUNNER! Never have been. Tried in junior high, but I got too bored just running. But I figured if I want to do this, I need to first get in shape to even do the 'real' training. So a program was recommended to Eric and I for beginners - my level of being a beginner, which means NO past running experience. It seems simple enough and I think I'll be able to handle it. This program claims to have you ready for a 5K in 9 weeks. So if it works, then I should be able to start 'real' training in late November or early December. So keep your fingers crossed for me!

Now... on to the company picnic! Most company picnics tend to be very family/kid oriented. So with this in mind, I didn't commit to going until I knew I could 'borrow' a kid - Eric's nephew, AJ. Once that was a go, I was set. So this afternoon, we picked AJ up and headed to German Park way on the south side! And I'm extremely glad I took AJ, because he had a blast, and I don't think it would've been as good without him to help keep Eric and I entertained! Although I think Eric still had fun on some of the 'big kid toys', as seen in the picture - he made sure to tell both his sister and parents about later on. LOL

There was a big bounce house, laser tag, pony rides, not to mention the normal playground equipment amidst it all. AJ even got a tattoo!! Airbrushed, of course. There was also dance contests and a wild animal presentation where the kids got to touch some exotic creatures they don't see normally. The food was your typical cookout type food, which was good. But the ones who made out were definitely the kids. AJ got a t-shirt, a goody bag full of fun stuff, plus, he just played all afternoon. We had to drag him away from the laser tag at one point to get food. So I think it's safe to say he had a good time.

At the end of it all, though, I think Eric and I were more worn out than him. Maybe it was just because of our run that morning. Either way, I'm going to sleep good tonight!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kara,
Love your updates. It's hard to keep in touch so reading your Blog helps. Good luck with training!
Catrina