Saturday, August 29, 2009

Apple Pickin'

First, let me apologize for my nearly two week absence. There just hasn't been a lot going on worth blogging about!

Today was a gorgeous 'almost fall' day and Eric and I decided to take advantage of it - we went out picking apples at a local orchard. We went to Stuckey Farm up near Sheridan, IN, which is about a half hour drive. They have over 4000 apple trees of 27 different varieties of apples. I didn't even know there were that many types to begin with, and they don't even have some of the more common ones! In addition, they have all sorts of fruit and veggies you can pick. Different times of the year yield different types of apples and fruits/veggies, so you can go a few different times and never come back with the same variety.

Anyway... we went primarily for apples. And we picked up about 12 pounds of apples in seven different varieties. We ate a few along the way to see if we liked the different varieties - the only one we picked that I recognized was the Gala apples. I definitely found some new varieties I like, though! We also picked some fresh corn on the cob, right off the stalk. I'm looking forward to cooking that up - I always love corn!

It didn't take too long to pick that many apples. I can see how this would be an awesome thing to do with kids. Eric and I figured there a some people there stocking up for Labor Day weekend - the people in front of us had, like 42 ears of corn! We felt like we should go pick more than the four ears we had! As far as the apples go, though... we split them up and will feed on them for awhile. I might have to pick out some good ones and make an apple pie for next weekend - it's sure to be a different pie than usual if I use a few different types of apples. We'll see - I gotta find time this week, first.

No comments: