Sunday, August 16, 2009

Year of the Bee

It was a hot summer day in Indiana... what better thing to do than go to the State Fair. Better yet, BIKE to the State Fair on the Monon Trail (part of it, anyway). So that's what Eric and I decided to do today... on one of the hottest days of the summer.

After a rather lazy morning and late breakfast/brunch, we loaded our bikes into my Xterra and headed up to Broad Ripple to ride the trail from there (different scenery verses going from his house). It was hot!! And we discussed that fact before we left the house, but what else would we do that day – anything we’d want to do would be outside anyway, so might as well stick with the original plan. But we did compromise and only bike from Broad Ripple verses biking from Nora, which was the true original plan. Cuts off about 2 miles each way, that way.

Anyway… we rode our bikes down to the fairgrounds, got them parked, and realized how hot it really was! So once we got inside the fairgrounds, the first thing we did was step inside one on the exhibit halls. We didn’t really care what was inside – we just wanted to cool off. Unfortunately, I don’t believe this particular exhibit hall had A/C. But it was still cooler than outside. Besides, we had no agenda or place to be, so might as well wander.

Once we were a little more cooled down, we went down the road a bit to Hook’s American Drugstore Museum, which is this authentic set up of an old time drug store/general store. It was dark in there, though, and at one point, I looked down and had a fly on my shirt. I kind of jumped back and swatted at it. Suddenly, I fell a sting on my chest… it wasn’t a fly, it was a bee! Now, from what I can remember, I’ve never been stung by a bee. So I had no idea how much they hurt, let alone what my reaction would be. I had a cold lemonade in my hand, and I immediately put the cold cup on the sting. It felt a little better and I thought I’d be okay. They we stepped outside and the warm breeze hit it. OUCH! There was that stinging pain again.

When we left the first building, I had remembered seeing a first aid sign. I told Eric I’d better go in and just have them look at it. I couldn’t see it myself, and, again, had no idea how I’d react (nor what the ‘good’ reaction would be). So I tried to find the first aid station and literally had to re-walk my steps… but I found it and went in. Ironically, there was a little boy in there with a bee sting, as well. I sat down and the attending took one look and could tell the stinger was still in there. That explained the pain. Apparently, it was in deep, too, because she actually had to take a couple of tries with tweezers before it came out. But she got it, gave me whatever the little tube of medicine is and put that on, then gave me an ice pack to keep on it for awhile. Luckily, I wasn’t having any sort of bad reaction (that I could tell).

Eric and I continued on our way, me with ice pack in hand (on chest) and him just shaking his head. (he thinks my life is always drama) The ice pack didn’t last too long since it was so hot out, but I think it served its purpose. We walked along the main drag and grabbed some food. After the food, I felt it was safe to say that I wasn’t allergic to bees, and we kept going around the grounds.

It was the typical state fair, only hotter. We hit a few more of the indoor exhibits, but we got to the point where we were both just cranky from the heat. At least I was. So we headed out and jumped back on our bikes for the ride back to the car. Seemed to go faster this time… maybe because it had cooled off a bit. Regardless, it made for a long day of being in the sun. Second day in a row for me. So by the time I got back to my house, I was beat! (I'm going to sleep REALLY good tonight!) But regardless of anything else that happened today, this year will always be remembered because of the bee sting.

No comments: