Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The Good, the Bad, and the REAL Ugly!

This has been a week of nothing but, well... hard to say, actually. it's just been crazy!!! And it's only Wednesday!!

I knew it was going to be a long week with work (The Bad). Lots of meetings, mainly board meetings, which are in the evening. Which get me home later than usual. Plus just lot of work (little things) on my plate to get done this week. I already have well over 30 hours in this week.

But I barely had a chance to get into the week before it got worse (here comes The Ugly). I was driving home from Monticello on Monday evening (my first board meeting) and I had just gotten off the phone with my mom, talking about how lucky I've been with my car. Well... I jinxed myself, apparently. Not five minutes after I hung up with her, my 'Service Engine Soon' light started blinking at me. Not a steady light, mind you, but FLASHING! Well, I've never once in my 9 years of owning Bleu have seen that light come on, so I wasn't sure if it was supposed to blink or not. I took note of things... seems to be driving okay... no smoke or smell... the engine wasn't overheating... So I took it for what it was - a warning - and kept driving. I didn't want to pull over on I-65 that far north of home!

I obviously kept an eye on things until my exit. When I got off the interstate, THAT'S when I realized something was really wrong - she was running pretty rough. Uh oh... so I called Eric, of course, and instead of driving home, I met him at the dealer and did a night drop of my car at the service department. While I was waiting for Eric, I pulled out my owners manual and learned that the flashing light actually means something different than a steady light... Emission Problem. Not good. But may not be too bad. Eric and I scoped it out a little and though it may be my muffler. That wouldn't be too bad. But we'll see.

When I talked to the guy the next day, he told me they were pretty booked with appointments, but they'd slip it in as soon as possible. It wasn't until today that I got a call with the diagnosis. He started the conversation off with, "I hate making this phone call..." I just put my head down and prepared for the worst! Well... I blew my intake gasket. I guess I didn't blow it, per say, but it's age caught up to it, and other things were affected by it. So now I have a hefty little chunk of change to dish out when Bleu's ready. After work, I went to grab some things out of her, and I felt like I was visiting a sick friend in the hospital... all these wires and tubes hooked up to her... of course, the spotlessness of the garage helped that effect. Man, dealers keep those places nice nowadays! But with how the week's been, this wasn't pleasant news, obviously.

But then I remembered... my friends, Jen & Tony, had their baby boy last night (The Good)!!!! Isaac Anthony, born July 14, 2009 at 6:40pm, 20 inches long and 8lbs, 8oz. Time to go see him - and I did. He's absolutely adorable!! There was no way I could leave that hospital NOT in a good mood - how can a baby NOT cheer you up and make you forget everything else. The miracle of this small person coming into the world just makes everything else insignificant! It was a good way to wind down and end the day for me. I needed that.

No comments: