Monday, July 6, 2009

4th of July Weekend Wrap-Up

It's the Monday after the 4th, and I bet you're wondering what I did all weekend. Well, maybe not, but I'm going to tell you anyway.

Most of the day was a bust, not just because Eric and I were recovering from the night before (see previous post), but more so because it rained... all... day... long. Eric's neighbors were supposed to have a big all day party, and they did have a lot of people over, but there was no cornhole of whiffle ball game. I just had trouble getting moving in the morning - I was completely content being a bum watching a TV in my PJ's. But Eric finally drug me out the door to run some errands in preparation for the night - the actual 4th of July.

We got home just in time to get food prepped and the family started showing up for the evening festivities. Unfortunately, it was still raining at this point. So we decided to eat - the weather channel said it was supposed to clear up in time for fireworks. So we ate, and Dave, Eric, and I took turns lighting some of the small ground fireworks off and the kids had their sparklers. Well, the weather channel kept pushing back their stop time for the rain. But the big downtown fireworks were supposed to happen, rain or shine. Hmmm... a half hour after the start time, they postponed them until Sunday. Too windy and, more importantly, the ceiling was too low and the fireworks would almost all be above the cloud cover (so we would just see fuzzy glows). So everyone went their own way, and Eric and I just went to bed. Neither of us had any energy to stay up any longer.

Sunday comes along and it finally stopped raining. It was cloudy when we woke up, but at least it wasn't raining. After breakfast and being lazy for a bit, Eric and I took a short bike ride around downtown. We ended up stopping at the Indiana War Memorial and went inside. First of all, I thought the building itself was the memorial - I had no idea it had the big shrine inside of the main building. It was very cool and I wish I would've had my camera - the detail in the architecture is amazing!! I will have to go back with a camera one day. On top of the amazing building and memorial inside the building, there's a museum with artifacts from all the wars the US has been involved in, as recent as Desert Storm! It was very cool - and surprisingly free! Well worth the time if you ever find yourself in downtown Indy with some time on your hands.

After we got home, we bummed around a bit before deciding to run some errands and grab some food. I was going to go home at this point, but I figured if I did that, I would just continue being a bum on the couch. Since the sun finally came out, it seemed like it'd be better to enjoy a little bit more of the day. So we ran around in Eric's old truck and ended up getting some food at Jockamo's Pizza (awesome food, if you've never been there). It hit the spot!! But after all that, it was time to go home - I would just have to miss the fireworks this year. But I was too beat and just wanted to go home to my bed. It was a long weekend.


It's just an All American house, isn't it?

No comments: