Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A Weekend of Firsts

This past weekend was my FIRST time flying Delta in a number of years. And you see from my last post how that went. But there was a good reason I was going to FL this past weekend - my niece's First Communion.

So after my long trip down on Friday, Saturday morning started early (6am wake-up time!!) so we could drive from Jacksonville to Palm Bay for Darian and Bubba's soccer games. It was their last games of the season. This was my first opportunity to watch them play and I must say, I was quite impressed since this was their first season to ever play! Darian may even be on a competition team later this year - they've expressed interest in her goal-keeper abilities. Oddly enough, they have Bubba on the defensive side of the ball, as well. Both kids love playing, so I see this becoming 'their' sport.

After soccer, the kids and I took our first beach trip of the year. And I say first cause I really hope I can make time for more. We had a limited time there since there were evening activities planned. But we had a good time while there. It was HOT!! There were near record highs all weekend. That made the water seem that much colder!! But regardless, we got out there - me for just a little bit, but the kids were out there nearly the entire time. They almost left their boogie boards at home, but I think they were glad they had them in the end, if for no other reason than to float on.

That evening, the whole family, including both sets of grandparents (to the kids, not me), Nan, Andy and Jan (my uncle and aunt), Kristin & Gregg, myself, and the kids, went over to the Pitts' for some grilling and swimming. Only the kids actually swam, but it was a nice evening of catching up with everybody.

Come Sunday morning, the big day for Darian had arrived. And she was really excited. They found a really pretty little dress for her and my sister and mom made the veil. So after a trying morning of getting everyone ready to go, we went to church for Darian's First Communion. I can't decide if I like the way they do this - it's not as a big class with a special mass, but rather 4 or so kids during a regular mass. I guess it really doesn't matter. The outcome is the same, after all.

After mass, Darian opened up some gifts back home, as did the moms in the family for Mother's Day. Then we headed back over to Mom and Pop Pitts' for an afternoon of eating and more swimming. It made for a nice afternoon of more catching up. It was also hot enough to get more people into the pool and that made for some fun. By the time we left to head back to Jacksonville, we were all full and tired.

Monday was the day to head home (for me), and I dreaded both the fact that I had to get up at 5am and the fact that I had to deal with Delta again. But it was unavoidable. Delta was a little more manageable this time, but that's probably because I already has a 3-1/2 hour layover scheduled. If they screwed that up, there's really something wrong with that airline even more so that typically wrong with it or any airline! I got home and it was still light out, and that along made me happy. But to top it off, after Eric picked me up, he came back to my house to mow my lawn so I could do other things and get settled back home for the work week ahead. Isn't he wonderful?!?

-------

So after the weekend travels, my first day back to work on Tuesday required me to get up at 4:30am to meet a coworker at 6:30am to travel to Chicago for the day to meet with the FAA, among other things. I was already tired from all the weekend travelling, but of course there was no choice in the matter. It turned out to be a LONG day though - I didn't get back to my car until 11:30pm!! So by the time I got home and into bed, it was nearly 1am. I slept in a little this morning and went into work about an hour late. I figured it was justified.

No comments: