Saturday, May 2, 2009

The Mini

The official commencement of "The Month of May in Indy" began today with the 500 Festival Mini Marathon. Okay... so technically, I think they had some kick off ceremony yesterday... but most people see The Mini as the start of the month leading up to the largest spectacle in racing - The Indy 500.

I have to admit, when I first move here, I didn't get all the hype. And actually, I still don't get all the hype, though I get into it a little more now. Example... The Mini. I don't run The Mini, but I've been volunteering at one of the finish line Gatorade stations for 4 or 5 years now. I'm not a morning person, but I get up every year to do this because it's a blast to do!

And this year was no exception! The weather turned out great, too. . As of last night, I was still concerned about rain. And a few small drops did spit on us early on. but it was nothing, and the sun rose, and the clouds melted away. We got everything ready, and I got to give the first wheelchair racer some Gatorade after he finished - which was the beginning of the craziness that is the finish line!! You see so may people from all walks of life. It's really cool!

Eric and I are talking about training to run next years race. That would be a huge thing for me, but I'd like to be able to say I did The Mini at least once! So we'll see - I'll keep you posted!

No comments: