Friday, May 8, 2009

Now I Remember Why I Quit Flying Delta

Delta Sucks!!

Years back, I made a decision to no longer fly Delta. They screwed me over one too many times, and when they weren't screwing me over, I witnessed them screwing other people over. But as the years passed, I seemed to forget that. And when the merger with Northwest was announced, I was skeptical. But it was going to be hard for to NOT fly them anymore... now there really were few other alternates for me to get to FL. It was WORTH flying through Detroit to go to FL, just to avoid Delta and their hub in ATL!!

Regardless, I gave them another shot. I should've known I was in for a long day when I couldn't check in online. Then when I DID go to the airport and check in, they couldn't give me both boarding passes at the ticket counter - I had to get the 2nd one at the gate. So I did, and eventually I was on my way.

Or so I thought.

We pushed back from the gate and taxied toward the runway. And stopped. The wouldn't let us take off (THEY being Delta in ATL) because there were storms in the area. So we had to hold at IND for about 20 minutes.

I only had a 45 minute scheduled layover in ATL.

We finally took off and the pilot made good time, but we still landed close to next flight. Of course we pulled up to a different concourse. I jumped on my Blackberry and checked the status of my next flight. I thought for sure it'd be delayed.

Nope.

I haul ass from B to A and get to the gate. Didn't look like they started boarding yet. There were other people there going to Jacksonville, too (they also hauled ass from their respective gates). Then I got suspicious... no gate agent, no change in schedule on the board... turns out the gate agent was busy moving the jetway back from MY plane! And there I stood, with at least a dozen other people who were delayed by Delta on the front half of their trips, only to be denied on this flight.

So I head to the rebooking desk and scan my boarding pass, only to find out they put me on STANDBY for the next flight. I got pretty pissy at this point. I had to get to FL TONIGHT, if not JAX, then MCO or MLB! So I go talk to an agent and plea my case. He barely says two words to me the whole time,. never smiles, only makes eye contact as I first walked up. He types on his keyboard and produces a confirmed ticked for the next flight (why couldn't the computer automatically do that?). So now I have to go to the gate to get a seat.

I stand in line at the gate, waiting for a gate agent to arrive, and get an assigned seat. Again, HORRIBLE customer service! At this point, I have about a half-hour until boarding begins, so I go get some food and wait.

Now, what really irks me is how they seemed to care less about this inconvenience. I KNOW Delta overbooks their flights on purpose and this is a regular practice, so you think they'd balance it out with better customer relations. Northwest at least automatically gave you a food voucher and some extra points/miles with a rebook when it was their fault... and a SMILE while doing it. I at least felt like they kind of gave a damn, even if it was a front. I think Delta gets a kick out of inconveniencing passengers! They sure as hell don't care!

So I finally get to JAX, about 2-1/2 hours later than originally planned. At least I made it, I guess. But I was going to make it, no matter what it took - different city, different airline, rental car... I was going to get to FL!! But now I'm wound up. I think there will be a letter written... I'm curious to see how they respond compared to Northwest. I thinking much of nothing.

No comments: