Monday, May 25, 2009

The Greatest Spectacle in Racing

I promised there would be good stuff to blog about after the Indy 500, and I hope I fulfill that promise with this blog today!

It was hot!! That's the first thing that needs to be noted. The air temperature hit a high of 86 degrees with the track temperature somewhere around 110 degrees... so that probably put where we were sitting in the mid-90's, especially since there was little to no breeze most of the afternoon. But boy, when it did gust a little, it felt great! Everyone got a little sun to show for the afternoon.

The people watching was superb this year, though there were no drunk obnoxious people near where we were sitting this year. I think cause everyone was sweating out the alcohol as quick as they could take it in! But we had a couple of bros near us in retro gear of some sort, then a guy in a lobster shirt, a white guy with a huge fro and a polyester shirt with Target symbols on in (I know I'm missing a few good ones)... oh, and a big group of of people representing Latin America that would bolt out Spanish songs during yellow flags, when the engines were at a low roar. That was as obnoxious as it got, which wasn't bad.

The nearly 100 jello shots I made were a hit and were gone by the end of the race. And it was just our group downing them, we weren't just throwing them out to randoms walking by. So the shots, on top of the beers kept everyone nice and relaxed. My friend, Chris, never even left the blanket. But we had everything we needed there - food, drinks, good view of the jumbotron... I just can't sit that long myself, so I had to walk a bit. We all had a good time out there. It would've been hard NOT to have a good time.

What about the race, itself, you ask? Well, it was a good one. I believe there were 8 cautions, most of which were true accidents, not just debris or something stupid like that. So there was plenty of action. Nothing in our turn (Turn 4), unfortunately, but plenty to keep our attention on the jumbotron. Helio grabbed his 3rd Indy 500 win, which is an accomplishment itself. And all three female drivers finished the race this year, with Danica in 3rd! Usually at least one of them crash out!

So it was a good day. The track was packed this year because of the good weather. Unfortunately, that meant more traffic coming in and out of the area, but we handled it. Very glad I have today to recuperate, though - I was beat last night and still a little tired today. But I'm about to go take a nap, so all is well.

For all my pictures, check out my Fotki Page.

No comments: