Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Annual After Christmas Zoo Trip

Today my Mom and I took my niece and nephew to the Jacksonville Zoo for what has become an annual ritual for us. We started doing this after Christmas zoo trip a number of years ago, and it's jut a fun thing to do! The weather is usually perfect (for me, anyways) and though it is Christmas break for all the schools, since we go on a weekday, it's not as crowded as it could be. Though it may not be amongst the nations elite zoos, I think it's a pretty spectacular zoo, myself. For starters, it's HUGE compared to Indy's zoo. I have to admit, the fist time I went to the Indy zoo, I was pretty disappointed. And I think they just have a great overall layout and set-up of things. Plus, they're still expanding! And it's right on the St. Johns River, so you get a nice view when you're at the one end of the zoo. I guess in the summer, they even have canoeing, and such, off of their dock.

Anyway... enough promotion... more about the trek itself. We didn't rush to get there or anything, but we still got there before noon (which you have to do if you even want to think about seeing the whole thing). The kids, of course, always have their favorites they have to go see. Darian loves the giraffes. Bubba loves the monkeys. Not that they are the only things they want to see... they like seeing it all. The Lorikeets are usually pretty cool to feed, too. But for some reason, they weren't too hungry today. Their keeper said they hadn't eaten much at all today... we were there rather early. There must've been something in the air, though, they they seemed very stand-offish for some reason. Of course they're the extras, too... the train, the huge playground/kids area. Me? I just like taking pictures of it all. You'd think after going all these years that I'd have enough pictures of the same animals. But I still always take more pictures. Next year there will be an entirely new permanent exhibit, The Asia exhibit. Not sure what all will be there, but I'm sure they'll have some cool stuff. What they're building so far looks awesome!

This year, however, there was a temporary stingray exhibit set up (though it sure looked permanent with the way it was built). It was the full, hands-on experience where you could pet and feed them. Well, the kids didn't want to feed them when it came down to it, so I fed them some. I swear, one bit me! The keeper said beforehand they don't bite, they just have a strong suction... but I swear I felt the thing clamp down on one of my fingers! There were no teeth, mind you... but it was something! But I survived it, whatever it was.

Anyway... my Mom and I are taking advantage of this annual ritual while we can. I'm sure one day, the kids will out grow the desire to do this. I just hope it's later rather than sooner. I guess time will tell.

No comments: