Thursday, October 17, 2013

And Just Like That, It's Done

So my title is a bit of a teaser. You're probably thinking I'm going to write a blog about the end of the government shutdown. Yes... it has come to an end. And somehow, it cost us a lot of money to end. How did having the government closed cost more money than if it stayed open? And it was even less impactful, since they plan on giving all the furloughed employees their back pay - which is a good thing, don't get me wrong. But I know I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what the point really was, other that to thoroughly piss off the American People. Which I must admit, mission accomplished.

I go back to my previous blog... lesson learned - vote every single senator and congressman out of office at the end of their term. I don't care how long they've been in office. Obviously, it's been too long to have something like this drag out.

No... what my blog is really about it the end of our I-65/I-70 South Split road construction! Can you believe that was the top story on our newspaper's website?? Not the government 're-opening' and coming to terms... but about the fact that trucks can drive through downtown again. And I, for one, couldn't be happier! It opened two weeks early!! No more trucks throwing on their engine brakes and they go through my quiet little residential area at 1am. No more lines of traffic out my front door. No more complete lack of preparation from INDOT on a project they already had practice on when they 'fixed it' the first time.

As I sit here tonight, in the normal quietness I've become used to (granted, still not as quiet as the suburbs), it's a nice quiet to listen to. If nothing else, the construction project made me appreciate what silence I do get downtown. Also, next time they plan on shutting the interstate down near my home, you can guarantee I'll be at any public hearing, making sure I see their FULL maintenance of traffic plan.

No comments: