Saturday, July 13, 2013

Walk for Wishes

Tose who know me well enough know that my true philanthropy, the one that is truly close to my hear, is Make-A-Wish. I 'discovered it' on my own with no other reason than I liked their mission and I wanted to be a part of that organization. It started with a small donation during their requestathon on WZPL, and grew from there into volunteering as a wish grantor - I get to go meet these amazing kids and help grant their wish! These kids just inspire you!

Needless to say, I do whatever I can to help out. I volunteer, I donate myself, and I try to fundraise during events. And I still wish I could do more.

This morning was one of their annual events - Walk for Wishes. It's a 5k-ish walk through a state park to raise money. Leading up to the even, I tried to raise as much money as I could. My friends and family came through, as always. But, for those who missed my original pleas, you can still go here to donate - it's always appreciated! During the event, I volunteered my time instead of walking this year. They needed a lot of help, as this event has continued to grow each year (this was year eight)!

The day, itself, turned our pretty mush perfect, weather wise. I got to see a beautiful sunrise on my way over to Ft. Ben - I don't catch sunrises too often. And the weather couldn't have been better - just cool enough in the morning and never got too hot!

And the turn-out was pretty great, too, since the weather was so nice. They did reach their initial goal of $100k, but even that barely scratches the surface of how many kids they need to grant wishes for! (hint, hint)

Needless to say, came home from this event in a great mood. Make-A-Wish always makes me smile when I'm done volunteering... it's just such a magical cause. That might sound corny... but it's so true.

No comments: