Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Driving Around Indiana

My job doesn't really require travel. At least not in a plane. Some of my new responsibilities, though, require some drive time to do some due diligence for projects. Ideally, you can just do day trips, driving to where you need to go and back. Luckily, Indiana is a pretty small state, so this is pretty doable if it's a 'local' project.

Today was one of those days. I've had a few projects pop up in southern Indiana in recent weeks, and finally, it was time to both see the sites in person, and talk to the City personal that could answer my questions. I drug Eric around a few weeks ago to see a couple of sites when we were in the area, anyway... but the needs had grown.

So I started my journey on I-65 South, heading towards Seymour, IN. It was going to be a beautiful day, weather wise. This made me happy. A lot of people still don't know I have a cell phone for work, so I'm lucky not to get too many calls on it yet. I'm sure that'll change. But the bluetooth in my Armada had me covered if I did get a call. It was about an hour drive to the City Engineer's office... almost all interstate. But it was beautiful out, so I didn't mind.

After a super productive meeting, I was back on the road, heading a little bit deeper in the the farmlands of Indiana. One of my newer projects was between my two meetings, in the middle of nowhere. But it was, again, quite a peaceful drive. But, boy, was it in the middle of nowhere!

My second meeting was in Columbus, IN - an area I'm a little more familiar with from my past work with the airport there. But interestingly enough, I never had to go to the City offices before... yet I was down there every month for about 2 years! This was another productive meeting. And my last 'scheduled' time for anything. From here, it was site visits, which were my own time to schedule.

It was starting to warm up a little, at this point, so I was more than happy to start wrapping up time walking around sites. So after a quick lunch at a Panera in Columbus, I was back onto I-65 North, heading back to Indy. I had one more site to go by, but I literally just had to drive by it to know the status of it. So it was an easy 'stop' before finally going into the office.

Funny thing about driving around for work... it's almost relaxing, in that you don't have the constant drone of computers and 'blah' office noise. I'm almost looking forward to my next day out in my mobile office.

No comments: