Wednesday, May 30, 2012

One of Those Days...

Ever have one of those days that you just wish you would've stayed in bed?

Yeah... today was one of those for me.

It started with a splintered sleep. Eric had to get up early for a flight... and did so more than once. First, he was going to go in early. Then, it was actually for the flight, as scheduled. So I never got back to a deep sleep and ended up rolling out of bed earlier than usual, myself. Anyone who knows me knows that I'm not a morning person, so this usually does not end well. But I made the best of it and hit Panera on the way to work. So far, not too bad.

Well, mid-morning, I get a 'small task' from the owner of the company. Actually, the continuation of something I did months ago. No big deal, really - just tedious. And there were definitely other things I needed to be doing. It involved a quick trip to a site, which just added time, though it was a nice day out, so not a bad day to be out of the office. Still not really impacting me too badly. But then it starts. I have to run back up to the site to deliver the little project I was doing. Still, not so bad. But on the way home is when it starts going downhill.

So I'm driving down I-69, talking to my boss (not the same guy) and I blew a tire. Now, for those not in the area, I-69 is one of the busiest roads in Indy (though no where near comparable to good ol' ATL traffic). He makes a sarcastic comment about me not being excited about something and I tell him, "Sorry - a little distracted. I just blew a tire!" He stops and asked if I had called someone yet, and I told him it just happened as I was talking to him. After I assured him I was fine, and we hung up, I started to call AAA - I wasn't about to try to change a left side tire on this road. I was starting to log the roadside assistance request when (da da da daaa!!!)State Farm's Hoosier Helper pulled up behind me. Yay - no waiting for AAA!

I haven't had to use my spare in about 10 years. I have a full sized spare, but it took a bit to remember how to get it detached from the underside of my vehicle. In the process, it bent the tool that undoes the bolt... but it still worked. It was just that rusted on! Another bonus to Hoosier Helper - they were able to put a little extra air in the spare since it was a tad low. I couldn't have done that myself!

While the nice gentlemen was changing my tire, I pulled out my paperwork from when I bough the tire. What do you know... I just ran out of warranty on them about 750 miles ago... within the last month! Wow. It figures.

Oh, and the tire that blew? I had been curious about it since I had to keep putting air in it. But I could never find anything stuck in it, so I attributed it to age. Turns out, there WAS something in it and that's what blew out... literally. I heard a clink as a drove, like a rock or something hit my mirror or something. Turns out it was whatever was in my tire hitting the wheel well. There was just a small hole, right at the inside of the tread on my tire, where I couldn't see.

When I get back to the office, I get back to my big project, marking up plans and such. Right at the end of the day, after 5pm, we get an email from the client. He wants to change everything on my project, pretty much. Great. Just how I needed to end my day.

Looking back, it wasn't a horrible day. Nothing tragic. Nothing life altering. Just one of those days. I can't wait to go to sleep tonight!

No comments: