Saturday, May 19, 2012

Which One Are You?

I've noticed there are really two people in this world. There's the people who are constantly changing with the trends (in all aspects - music, fashion, technology, etc.) and those who are content with where they're at. But is it really that simple?

While I like to keep my wardrobe updated, I don't necessarily follow the trend of the moment. I try to buy stuff that will take me through a few years - a bit more of a timeless look. Which explains my jam-packed closet and dressers. I still occasionally find things from college still lingering... and shoes? Well, I just collect shoes, it seems. it's always fun to have something different on your feet than the everyday ho-hum.

But on the technology side, I kind of like to see it prove its worth before investing (not to mention letting the price come to something a little more reasonable). And while I keep up on the latest social media and such, I don't necessarily embrace it all the time. Eric, on the other hand, feels like if you don't always have the latest and greatest, you're already behind. He'll even go so far as to 'force technology' just to keep 'up to date', which I don't really agree with. In my opinion, if you (or whomever it's forced on) is not comfortable with the technology of the moment, then it just won't be used. Quite frankly, some of what comes out is so specific, it only has a short trend life, anyway.

Music is a whole other beast. there's a particular radio station in town that has the same old tried and true morning show that's never changes, along with the 'hard rock' of the 80's and 90's. I find it interesting who listens to this station. While hearing some of these songs is a great throw back, I can't imagine still listening to that music, and only that music. But there's a lot of people out there who just decide that's what they like and have no desire to listen to newer music - the station still exists for a reason. But I can't imagine not knowing the headliners of concerts coming through town... I get thrown because I don't know the country acts that are out there. But to me, that because it's a different genre, now a different time.

Don't get me started on eating habits. It seems like there's more people than we'd like to admit that are still convinced fast food is 'okay' on a regular basis, when it's really not. This is one area I applaud California on... yay for laws requiring calories be shown on the menu boards! If people realized what they ate, I guarantee they wouldn't anymore. I'm one of them. I've stopped eating quite a few items after learning of their true nutritional content. It's downright scary! But this isn't really a trend... this is a change in lifestyle. We'll talk about that on another day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The only really safe food is chocolate!