Monday, November 7, 2011

Political Season

I will be so glad when tomorrow has passed.  This was my first 'big' election living in Marion County (verses Hamilton County) and quite frankly, it's political overload before an election here!

The big debate is over the mayor... do we select the incumbent or his challenger?  The Mayor started out clean... but his challenger immediately attacked him, and the mud slinging began.  I hate that about politics... don't dog on the other guy, just tell me what you're going to do without bashing what they've done.  I'm SO sick of the TV commercials!  I will give both of them credit - they're not pushing their party affiliations, at least.

On a more local front, there was someone in our neighborhood running for our district's city council spot.  Eric befriended him before the campaigning began and actually got involved in the door-to-door campaigning.  He loved it!  Not something I'd want to do, necessarily, but it definitely gave a new perspective to what goes into a campaign as someone new comes into the game... LOTS of time!  I won't go into details, but at least there wasn't mudslinging at this level.  At least by him.

But the mailings, on the other hand, sent out by the party headquarters... there was mudslinging there, at least towards the incumbent since he apparently made some 'bad votes' on some 'critical' items of interest for the city.  Oh, the mailings... so many mailings!  We had one day of mail that was nothing but political adds from all parties for all positions... there was about 10 total, I think. Is that really necessary??  I don't think so.

For the record, I already voted.  I love that they allow early voting here... makes life easier to not have to deal with trying to get to the polls on election day.  Do it at your convenience on your schedule.  Plus, I get to avoid the barrage of last minute campaigning outside the polling locations.  "Leave me alone - I already know who I'm voting for!"  Seriously... why would I already be coming to the polls if I hadn't already made up my mind?

Oh well... here's to the end of the politcal season!  Yay!

No comments: