Sunday, November 13, 2011

Professional Stalker

I am a professional stalker.

Okay, so not really... I just stalk professional athletes. 


Okay, not really... just one.  Maurice Jones-Drew.

Okay, so I didn't really stalk him.  I just played the role of a big fan when he and the Jags came to play (and beat!) the Colts.

I started with a plan.  A plan based on knowing nothing about getting a football player's autograph before/during/after a game.  So, naturally, I showed up early, in hopes of getting it after they did their on-field practice before the game.  Nope... not then.  They have their game faces on at that point.  At least the Jags do.

So how about after the game as they head to the locker rooms, especially after a win!  Well, they do start throwing gloves and towels if you ask, at least some of the players do.  But no stopping for autographs.  Hmmph.

At this point, Eric suggests asking one of the 'gate keepers' where the bus is - I figured in was under the stadium somewhere at Lucas Oil Stadium... and I was right.  So I batted my eyes and and flashed my smile to one of the guys and got to go down to the friends and family waiting area by their route between the locker room and the bus.  Way cool!

Most of the players came out and just beelined to the bus area with their box lunches for the road.  The guys look SO different out of uniform!  It was hard to recognize some of them... in fact, it was hard to recognize most of them!  But then came MJD... he stands out in the crowd because, up close and in street clothes, he looks like a very normal guy you'd run in to somewhere!  After he visited with some legitimate friends in the friends and family area, he did, indeed, work his way down and sign some autographs.

The best part?  He remembered seeing me in the stands!  He even apologized for not being able to stop up on the field - he said it's hard for them to do up there!  Love it!  He's a real genuine nice guy, too... really soft spoken.  A very cool guy to meet, even if it was in brief passing.

So I got my autograph and I couldn't be more happy!  Obviously the highlight of my day... of my WEEK even!


Go Jags!  Always and Forever!

No comments: