Sunday, October 2, 2011

Real Men Wear Pink

October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. You can't argue that of all the Cancers out there (Cancers of all sorts SUCK!), it has, by far, outpaced all the others in awareness. The fact that I have been personally impacted by this (via my Mom's diagnosis nearly 6 years ago) makes me even more aware, but it goes way beyond me.

I think one of the most outstanding facilitators of this awareness (at least in recent years) is the NFL. The fact that they, as the huge organization they are, makes a statement the way they do every October now is awesome! They go beyond making a donation with their name attached... they have all their teams, players and coaches alike, don hot pink accessories to been seen on national television. I love watching the NFL in October... personally, I think the hot pink looks sharp on the guys. The bits of pink they wear stand out. Shoot... they get more noticed for what they do, which I guess could be good or bad depending on if a penalty gets called. LOL

Go NFL!

But even more impactful is the fact that these huge guys are showing their support for this cause. You hear some guys say they can't wear pink because it's too 'girly' for them. Tell that to one of those defensive lineman and see how long you survive. If these guys can wear pink on national television, then every guy out there should be able to wear pink, especially this month, to show their support, too. And don't give me, "Well, they get paid to wear pink!" I'm sure a lot of those players have someone in their life that has been affected by Breast Cancer, too, so they have no problem proudly showing their support.

Reality stat... 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime.

Show your support this month. At a minimum, don a pink ribbon at work. If you have the means to be generous, donate to the cause.

No comments: