Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Instant Gratification

Today's society seems to be all about 'Right Now!' Kids this day and age have no idea what patience is. And I think a lot of adults are forgetting what it is, as well.

Most kids have grown up being able to get what they want, when they want. Food is handed through a window to them 5 minutes after talking into a box, asking for what they want. They click a button on a remote and get to watch whatever movie they want, without going to a video store. Even if they want something to eat at home, there's no need to heat up the stove and in some cases, you don't even need silverware anymore. Even the older kids... you want to hear a particular song, you don't need to wait for it on the radio or find your CD... just type it into Pandora, and there it is... or buy it on iTunes, and you're done.

Sadly, many adults have forgotten what patience is. People on their work cell phone (typically smartphones with email capability) are the perfect example... always readily available and DO answer the phone or reply to emails, no matter the time of day. Remember when you used to leave the office and your workday was done? Remember when you used to have a question for a coworker, but waiting until the next day for an answer... or even the next day to ask it? What good is knowing that at 10pm at night really going to do you? Is it really going to make your next day at work that much smoother or make something happen faster?

I'm even guilty of it sometimes. There's a Starbuck's on my way to work that is slow. I'm talking the slowest Starbuck's I've ever been to (and I've been to quite a few). It's never crowded inside, so that can't be the reason the drive-thru is wrapped around the building... and that's just to get tot he order box! Even when I've somehow gotten there without anyone there, it's taken nearly 10 minutes to get my order. No food, nothing special... just a simple tall mocha. So the last time I went, I decided to go inside because of the drive-thru line. Almost no one inside, as suspected. There was one lady at the register waiting to order. I later learned that she was standing there for nearly 5 minutes with barely a nod of recognition. After I and one other customer got in line, someone finally took our orders. And then it was another good 5-10 minutes to get our orders. We didn't understand this - there were 5 people working behind the counter. Even if those taking orders did only that, it leaves 3 people to fill the orders! How was it taking so long??

I began to ponder the whole instant gratification at that point. Wow... we're spoiled. Can't even have patience for something that we order for enjoyment. Now granted, this I think is also a bit of just plain bad customer service... or at least disorganized customer service. I really hate that it's the only Starbuck's on my way to work because of it's slowness! But the thing is, it's morning coffee during rush hour... we've come to expect that is going to be fast service, so when it's not, we get upset. How did society get to this point? We used to not be able to get coffee through a little window at a restaurant.

So why have we in American society become so impatient? Why do we expect everything to be so fast? Why must we live this fast paced life that very few other countries recognize? Why can't we slow down?? Why are we teaching our kids that instant gratification is what life is all about - you don't ever need to wait for anything? There's nothing wrong with waiting for something. Though it seems patience is quickly becoming a thing of the past.

I wish I had an answer for these questions, but I don't. I can only hope some people agree with me out there and maybe, just maybe, we can keep patience alive out there. If everyone could just take a minute and breathe, reminding themselves that anything worth something is worth waiting for.

No comments: