Monday, April 11, 2011

Fate? Karma? Angels?

Today I witnessed an accident. And this was not the first time... I've seen quite a few happen near me, in front of my, behind me... but I'm never in a position to stop and check on things. All I can do is be amazed it was so close to me.

Today's happened about 200' behind me, so I saw it unfold in my rearview mirror. And ambulance was going the opposite direction, so everyone on both side of the road were slowing up and pulling over. it was raining. Apparently the little car behind the Grand Cherokee wasn't paying attention... AT ALL!! I didn't know it was back there until I saw it dart around the Jeep - I thought it was just an idiot aggressive driver... but then he went into a spin, came back and broadsided the Jeep, bouncing back around the front of him and ended up on the curb in front of the Jeep.

If I had left 30 seconds later, I could've been the Jeep.

The craziest accident I witnessed was when I was co-oping in Atlanta, living on the southside and commuting down I-75. It was rush hour, so it was busy. We came to a busy interchange where I think a car/truck factory used to be as well as other industrial type facilities, so it was a well used on ramp. I'm driving somewhere in the middle of the 6 lane or whatever is is at that point, and the on ramp was a multi-lane on-ramp, as well. Someone who was just getting onto the interstate decided they wanted over RIGHT NOW and merged before they were up to speed and the slammed into by the car that came up behind it with no other place to go... because I was right next to him! I literally watched the metal crumple with my peripheral vision! It was surreal!

Again, I could've easily been cruising in that lane on that particular day, but I wasn't.

So what does this mean? Well, for starters, my mind starts racing. But it always comes back to angels. Yes, angels. I'm not a religious person, by all means... but I've never doubted there's something bigger than us out there that controls our fate - things happen for a reason - and I believe in karma, too... and angels. At least guardian angels. It's times like that, when I witness something crazy that is so close to me, that I can't help but feel like someone was watching over me to make sure I didn't drive that direction, or leave on time (or leave late!). Someone made sure my last job didn't land me overseas for a stint that would've overlapped the civil wars breaking out there.

A little fate, a little karma, but there's just gotta be an angel watching over me. My karma can't be that good.

No comments: