Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Health Kick

So with a few things out there urging me on and/or inspiring me, I've decided to go on a bit of a health kick... a long overdue health kick!

It started as I watched a friend (via Facebook) essentially transform herself after her last pregnancy... she raved about the Turbo Fire workout and it totally intrigued me. I went back and forth for awhile if it was worth putting out the money and decided that yes, by the time you put the time into it, it pays for itself verses a gym membership. The key was just to commit to it! Which it easier said than done when you do it on your own at your own home - no trainer making sure you show up, no one next to you in an actual class that you feel competitive with - it's just you and your own mindset. I knew this would be the hard part for me. But so far, I'm loving it and looking forward to the workouts!

With a new workout regimen comes the need to properly fuel yourself with 'good for you' foods... and despite what so many people out there think, it doesn't mean a diet or giving up everything you love. It's all about portion control. Seriously. And knowing that if you do have that dessert after dinner, you better know that you have to keep it small and you may have to compensate elsewhere to make up for that. So with that in mind, I restocked our fridge and pantry with options that were just overall better. Eric and I don't eat bad - we're actually pretty good with what we eat. We don't eat anything fried up, we don't do a lot of starchy foods, we don't eat a lot of fatty meats and focus more on the veggies for meals... but the hard part is portions. I'm trying to get him used to the smaller plates for that reason - it really is an easy way to control portions. For some reason, we, as Americans, feel like that plate has to be full!! Wrong!

Back when I was with a trainer for my wedding, I learned a lot. I'm taking as much as that to heart, without having to change my eating habits 100% like she had me do. Things can be changed in moderation. But even she said you could have 'cheat meals' - you just have to recognize them as just that and not do it every day. Otherwise, just make some common sense smart decisions when eating... for example, NO seconds! You don't need it! Save it for lunch/dinner the next day.

So we'll see how this goes. I'm not sure if I'll say much more on this subject during this blog, but then I may blog some more about it to keep me more accountable. Time will tell.

No comments: