Thursday, April 28, 2011

So. Much. Rain.

This has been the wettest April I can ever remember!! We've only seen 9 days of sun (if that, I wonder, honestly) this month... and there's only 2 days left!! Granted, it hasn't rained EVERY other day... but it's been overcast, dreary, and FORECASTED to rain. Thankfully, the weatherman was wrong some days. But we're still looking at breaking some records for the month.

I'm not talking about day after day of just drizzles, either. I'm talking about 1/3 of these dreary, rainy days were actually severe weather watches/warnings, which means winds, heavy rains, and even tornado chances! I have a rain gauge in my backyard, and in a 24 hour span last week, we had over 5" of rain. This week was even more rain, winds, and warnings, but I dumped out the rain gauge a few times... didn't really want to see how much more rain we got! I'm just SO SICK OF THE RAIN!!

Of course, when it rains this much, you have consequences. I'm not just talking about the obvious flash flooding or true flooding... but everything that lives, even if it needs water... it can get TOO MUCH water! This rain has definitely stunted the growth of anything and everything we have in the garden (both flowers and vegetables). I just hope the sun comes out and can get things going again... the ground is just so saturated, though... guess we'll really learn how good our soil is this year.

I just want the sun to come out and STAY out. I know the saying... "April showers bring May flowers," but this April was ridiculous!! It's supposed to be April SHOWERS, not torrential downpours!

No comments: