Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Closing Day

Today was the closing of the sale of my house. Long time coming, but bittersweet, none the less.

Before the closing, I went to my house one last time to have a look around, make sure nothing was forgotten, and say goodbye. It was harder than I thought... I teared up a little, but managed to keep my composure. It's so big and empty... I guess it hasn't been my 'home' for some time now, so that helped a little. I never thought this would be a long term home - I knew it was a starter home for me. I guess I just never thought about how I'd finally let it go.

So many memories were made in this house, from my first Halloween party, where lots of friends mingled from different groups (even had a marriage start there), to making margaritas before Jimmy Buffett. And so much in between! But more importantly, it was a place I was able to call "Mine" for nine years.

I went into closing with mixed emotions galore. This would be a huge stress off Eric and I, that was one thing for sure. But it was still my first home on my own... and my last piece of independence. But as I met the couple moving into the house, I felt a little better. I knew it would be continued to be well cared for.

After signing all the pieces of paperwork (legalities, legalities), I passed my keys and garage door openers across the table. No more would I be needing them. The house officially became someone else's home today. I can only hope that they have as many great memories as I do in it.

No comments: