Saturday, June 28, 2008

Victim of the Economy

I wanted change... well, I got it. Just not on my terms, unfortunately.

I got laid off yesterday. Completely in shock. The COO himself did the letting go, which just made it even more stunning. I came into work on Friday morning, thinking it was just another day. I never thought to think that it was the end of the quarter. Which means budgets were being reviewed. I figured I'd just be coming in and doing my normal thing at the office. Yeah... not so much.

I was one of four people let go in my department. Not sure if this was planned or mere coincidence, but we were all on the same team. All that was left of the 'team' was Eric. He's pissed! Can you blame him? Wouldn't you take it rather personal if of the entire department, it was only your team members let go?? Not cool.

So now I get to search for another job. I loved what I did there, and would love to stay in development, but I don't know how feasible that is with the economy today. At least they gave me a little severance to give me a little time before I really have to panic. But it doesn't make it suck any less.

The good news is, the change I predicted came. There's no guessing 'what's coming?" or wondering if I'm making the right change. That decision was made for me. But I think I'll be alright. I have some connections I'm feeling out and had an outpouring of support from friends, clients, and consultants I used to work with when they heard the news. That gave me great hope.

Besides, it could be worse. I was helping a family of four move at midnight last night (nothing illegal)... there's nothing like taking your mind off of your own problems by delving into the middle of someone else's problems.

No comments: